Thursday, January 1, 2009

GoodBye Ol' Girl

This is a very hard post for me to write as it has been a very hard week. Today we said goodbye to Prissy.


As you might have read in my original post, horses have always been a love in my life since I was a little girl. On April 25, 1987, entered Prissy, a young 13 month old that had my heart the minute I saw her raise her head out of a herd and rear up as if to say "just come see if you can catch me". Little did I know at that time, how many hearts this amazing horse would touch and the effects she would have on our lives.

I sit here thinking about the past with her. She has been through a lot with us. This horse had more heart than anyone can imagine. Anyone that knows anything about horses will understand what it means for a horse to have a big heart. All she wanted to do was please. It's so hard for me to put into words...it is hard to cover almost 23 years. I guess I passed on to my daughter the love for horses because she and Prissy clicked like no others. What a team they were! How they grew together from potato races in little playdays to winning barrels in Bexar County. I can't begin to explain the joy that it brought seeing them fly through the arena. Even when my daughter was off having her own babies, Prissy even spent a few years taking other girls to State in poles.

A couple years ago, Prissy came to the orchard to retire, to live out the rest of her life in pampered bliss. I guess we all thought Prissy would be around with us for years but it didn't go as we had wished. Last Monday morning, Prissy told me with her eyes she didn't feel good. I will not go into all the details of the week, but I watched her deteriorate daily. Last night we left her at Texas A&M in ICU....we got the call this morning at 2:17 that it would be best to euthanize her. So today she came home for the last time. Thanks for being in our lives. Thanks for carrying three generations on you.

Happy Trails, Prissy.









For the real story of Theresa and Prissy, read about it on Theresa's blog.

2 comments:

  1. No I will not go & read the rest of the story...Oh I am so sorry for your loss. Heart breaking! I am sorry you have to start the new year out with such a heavy heart. God gave us love though animals & they have been such a blessing to my life but it is like a family memeber has died when they are gone. My prayers to you & your family for comfort in your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your beautiful blog today. My husband and I have 3 Arabians and they are our children, along with our dogs and cats. My heart goes out to you for your loss.
    What wonderful memories you have. That is such a blessing!

    Misha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you if you feel like commenting. This is a Word Verification Free blog.
Have a blessed day...