Saturday, April 21, 2012

Rain Barrel

I went to Lowe's early because we had rain forecasted to hit in the afternoon. I decided to go with a commercial brand trash can because I don't think I'm too gifted to be able to work from two small openings on top of a barrel. Until I find a barrel that the lid comes off, I'll stick with this. It's pretty heavy duty plastic...and a little more money than I wanted to pay...$30.
Then the clouds start rolling in so not sure I'm gonna get this done in time. We were originally forecasted a 30%, then increased to 40%. By last night it was updated to 50%. Now I hear it's 80%. Yikes...I better hurry....
Of course, I have no power tools here at the house that I can use...so much for drilling a nice hole in the top. This ol' girl uses what she's got...a box cutter. My right arm and shoulder may never be the same but, hey, it worked. Under this green grate on the pvc reducer, I added window screen to keep the mosquitos out. You'll see on the last picture the hose sitting on top. I'm not sure if I want to leave the drain or have the hose more properly fit into the white pvc.
I then cut the hole for the spigot. I used a marker to outline the inside diameter of the fitting and, again, cut the hole with a box cutter. I used a washer on the inside and outside and used silicone to seal.
I also bought a couple cinder blocks for this to sit on. Now to take down the gutter so I can put on the flexible hose.
See how the hose sits on top of the drain. I need another flat block or two to raise the barrel and might leave off the green grate.
So...mission accomplished. Do ya notice the black clouds are gone and the sun is out? Yep, rain went right around us...not a drop. Now that's another story...
Happy Trails...
Berte

12 comments:

  1. I have come to know that weather forecasters are bad everywhere, but here in Tennessee the "science" has been lowered to an art form on the order of seers with crystal balls and dart boards.

    Well you've got your "barrel"...now all ya need is some RAIN....

    Good luck with that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow. I like this idea. Love your header photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I've been wanting to make one too!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this....I still don't have my rain barrel up...love the garbage can -- I think that's what I'll do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog today, and I just LOVE the music on your blog! What a beautiful farm you own, too!

    http://hopefulforhomemaking.blogspot.com

    -Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think you did a bang up job cutting holes with your box cutter!! Your rain barrel looks great...now for the rain, right?!? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, Berte, you're a pretty handy gal to have around. Now come up here and help me make a couple of these! Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey thanks for stopping by and following along just became your newest follower. Love the rain barrel idea. Hubby and I always wanted to have something install like this, thanks for sharing a neat idea. Sheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the rain catcher! I'd like to have one, maybe someday we will. I know how water is a concern when you have animals to water. We don't live close enough to a river.
    I LOVED the post about all your boots. I wear mine to church too! I'm glad you found my blog. I'm now a follower of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great idea! I might have to rig me up one of those here too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's fantastic! I use garbage pails for rain barrels too. I can never find food safe barrels anywhere. I like that you hooked it up to your gutter like that. I'll have to remember it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you if you feel like commenting. This is a Word Verification Free blog.
Have a blessed day...