Thursday, April 19, 2012

Around the Farm


Are there days when you can find nothing to post about and then others when you have too much for one post? Or maybe things are just so busy around here that if I took the time to post each day, I could for sure have something to post about. It seems I have a lot of irons in the fire right now with much on my "to do" list. Especially since we had 4 days without water last week...ugh. How much we rely on that good ol' stuff called water.
Here's Buddy hauling water for the horses last week (with a little help from one of the granddaughters). Fortunately, we had some rubber water troughs that he could pick up and haul. Yesterday when I was out working on the chicken pen (that's another story), I heard a commotion and looked up and saw that silly Longhorn "playing" with that trough like a toy. We keep a big blue plastic barrel out in the pasture that she usually plays with but she decided a very large trough was more fun. I wish I had my camera...
I did have it with me to snap some pics of the horses... this is Jess and Cinch. Poor Cinch...Jess won't leave him alone. Every picture I have of them is just alike because she is along his side every step of his way.
And here's sweet Bridget. She has classic Cushing's Disease. Cushing's is usually seen in the smaller breed horses and ponies but not limited to them. It's when the pituitary gland is not functioning properly and puts out abnormally high levels of cortisol in the blood. Among some of the signs is excessive thirst and urination and a thick wavy coat. They typically have weight loss and develop respiratory problems. She's there! It's pretty sad because we've seen this beautiful animal go downhill despite a variety of medical and dental treatment. Pretty soon we're gonna have to "let go"...
Well, back to a better subject...chickens! I'm in the process of moving the location and building a new pen. I'll get pictures up soon. I can hardly stand being without my fine feathered friends.
Happy Trails...
Berte

5 comments:

  1. Awwhhh...poor Bridget, but a green pasture on a loving farm, ....it could be worse for her.

    Love the pic with grandpa and granddaughter :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine the problems that I would have without water for 4 days, and I don't have to feed stock! Bless your heart! I sure envy you living 'in Texas' and 'in the country'. :D
    Though I love my animals, 'letting go' is always in the back of my mind and that's where I try and keep it till the time comes. So sorry for Bridget. Your longhorn is sure entertaining. What a wonderful pet to have! Every Texan
    (at least this one) would love to have a longhorn! I sure enjoy reading your blog :D
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad , but at least you are giving Bridget the best you can! Your longhorn sounds like he is a handful! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had 2 dogs that have had cushings and I know what it can do to them, and can imagine the effect on horses and ponies. But with your great care and the good life she has, I know this part of her life will be a happy one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite not having any water the two on the tractor look to be having a good time. Love the names of your horses!!! They are both beautiful animals. Can't wait to see what is happening with the coop. How many chickens are you thinking of having?

    @ 3Beeze Homestead

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you if you feel like commenting. This is a Word Verification Free blog.
Have a blessed day...