Monday, April 23, 2012

One Rise Bread

I apoligize so much to the blogger who initially posted this recipe to give you credit but I didn't write it down and I can't remember.  I have tried this once before but it didn't turn out so great.  I used one of those silicone loaf pans...I do not like them for baking (to put it lightly..)  I had these that I wanted to do a little comparision test.  My everloving spatterware pan and a Wilton pan.
 So here's the original recipe-


One rise bread (makes 2 loaves)

In a large mixer place:
2 1/2 cups hot tap water
1 T salt
1/3 c. oil
1/3 c. sugar or honey
2 T yeast
1 egg

Mix together a little and then add 6 c. flour.
This can be any combination of wheat and white flour.  For white bread use all white flour and for wheat bread use half and half or more wheat if you want.

Mix flour until it "leaves" the sides of the bowl.  Then continue mixing 10 minutes.
Pour dough onto an oiled countertop.  Divide in two.  Form into two loaves and place in bread pans sprayed with Pam.

Turn oven on to 350 degrees and set bread to rise on top of it for about 30-40 minutes or until it peeks over the top of the pans.
Pop in oven for 25 minutes.
Remove yummy bread from oven and from pans.
Beam with pride while you butter the tops.
Let cool completely before slicing.

But wait.
You can also make these into cinnamon rolls!  Or make one loaf of bread and one pan of cinnamon rolls.
  
To make cinnamon rolls:
Roll out half of the dough on an oiled countertop to form large rectangle about 9x12. 
In a bowl, mix 1/2 cup sugar & 1 T cinnamon with 2 T softened butter. 
With a pastry cutter or fork, cut butter into sugar & cinnamon until it forms a crumbly mixture.
Spread out on top of rolled out dough. 
Roll the short side toward you to form a log. 
Cut cinnamon rolls about 2 inches thick and place in cake pans sprayed with Pam. 
Rise for 30-40 minutes. 
Bake for 12-18 minutes.  
Glaze with powdered sugar mixed with milk.
*I had to let mine rise longer than the recommended time. 

I think both pans did equally well.  I'm just pretty partial to my spatterware.

I also used sugar instead of honey.  I also used 5 cups of white flour and 1 cup of whole wheat.  This recipe is okay in a pinch but I still like the ol' fashioned double-rise bread.
Happy Trails..
Berte

9 comments:

  1. It looks good but I'm partial to double-rise bread too. I just love your spatterware bread pan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good. Never made a one rise bread before. I usually use the half wheat half white flour in my bread. It taste better to us anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know, Berte, that bread looks pretty good - but I'll take your word for it. The spatterware is much more cool.

    Hey, is there a chicken on top of your paper towel holder??? If it does, then it's just like mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know your bread is just as delicious as it looks!!! I'm also interested in that rain barrel. I have one and I'd love another--You've made it look easy--I'm going to have to try making one instead of buying another for $100+ (ouch!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Vickie - yes, there's a rooster that sits on top of mine. Love it!

    To Kim - I went to the feed co-op and found out they sell their plastic barrels for $19 or $28 with a spigot. Now, that's the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the smell of fresh baked bread yours looks perfect

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ain't much of a cook, but I am a good diner. And I know I would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gonna have to try this bread recipe, I love bread, lol so does my family :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know I'll try the recipe thanks! Love your blog!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you if you feel like commenting. This is a Word Verification Free blog.
Have a blessed day...