Saturday, August 20, 2011

Flies, Flies and More Flies

I don't know what it is but we've been invaded by flies. Not sure if it's the heat or what but they are coming in droves to this area. We've got dogs and critters but these flies are everywhere around us. It's disgusting. It seems I'm not the only one with this complaint. Even when I hang clothes out on the line, they are all over them....yuck! For some strange reason, they are also very attracted to the concrete outside. I have put out Sevin Dust and they seem to love it. I have googled and searched for some type of fly control. I then try this ->


I read the instructions...simple enough. You can see in the bottle it has a tube of liquid in there..you snip off the end, pour it in and fill half full of water. NO WHERE does it say to wear a gas mask or use gloves....this stuff is repulsive! I would closely compare it to the smell of dead fish and bad urine. I think that's what it is....old urine! Oh...my....gosh!!! It's attracting some flies but not near enough. I also think it must have attracted every wild animal we have left around here.. the dogs barked all night.


I'm also saving 2-liter bottles to make my own concoction. First you remove the cap. Then cut the top part of the bottle off about an inch below where it stops curving. Invert the top into the bottom so the mouth of the bottle is about an inch or so above the bottom so it does not touch any liquid when filled. Then pour in vinegar...or, if you're so inclined...you can pee in it. Slap a label on it and we'll all be rich! ha...just kidding but it's the same thing as the Captivator. But somebody did it and I'm crazy enough to buy it.

If anyone out there in blogland has any suggestions on how to get rid of flies and still keep the dogs safe, I would greatly appreciate it.

Happy Trails...

Berte

8 comments:

  1. I know EXACTLY what you're talking about! We tried those traps too, and I really think that it was the smell that attracted MORE flies!! It was awful, and I won't buy them again!! But I've been told citonella, or using lavender works~~Plant it or break flowers off and place around and it works for ages. I do know that spraying lemon-grass mixed with hot water helped a little. Basil also seemed to keep flies away. Just put some leaves or the plants around. Someone else told me once about using a zip-lock bag filled half-way with water will repel flies. They said that it worked because of something to do with the way the moving water refracts light--It sounds kinda crazy, but I just thought I'd pass it on. Let us know what works for you--I hope you find something that does!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no hope until the first cold snap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talk to a dairy farmer or a horse farm with expensive horses. They can't allow flies.
    I think they go to the concrete for the heat. They love heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flies - bleh... I've heard about the plastic bags full of water hung all about the house and porches is supposed to keep 'em away, too. My dad swears it works. Maybe their eyes hurt from the refracted light - you know flies have zillions of little eyes. I don't know of anything else, Berte. We're still fightin' the grasshoppers. They are eating everything. Good luck with the flies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really don't know what else you can do. Supposedly, a jar with a little water in the bottom and some honey or sugar, is suppose to draw them in and they can't get out. I would say research on the internet...........might be a good help. Good luck. blessings,Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. As Kim & Vicki said, try zip-lock bags filled with plain water and hang them around. All over Europe you will see these water filled bags hanging, generally just outside the doors of homes. Europeans swear
    they work.
    Also have you tried old fashioned fly tape? Hang strips of it around your porches and clothes line.
    Keep us posted when you find something that works.
    Around these parts we construct small bat houses. Encouraging bats to live nearby is good as they eat several times their weight in small insects... flies and mosquitoes every day.
    Good luck, and post us when you find something that works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fly Predators - google it and read about it. It really works.. but you have to purchase them monthly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I would love to hear from you if you feel like commenting. This is a Word Verification Free blog.
Have a blessed day...